Wednesday, October 31, 2018

♡ Holika Holika Sweet Peko Hard Cover Perfect Cushion Review ♡

もしもし!♡
 Today I thought I'd do something I haven't done in quite some time: a cosmetics review!
For those of you who have been following this blog for a while, you might remember me starting out as a beauty blog!
I would be surprised if anyone from that long ago still read this blog though ^^"
In any case, when I purchased this item, I got several messages on Instagram asking me to review it. I finally ran out of my old product, and was able to open this one at last! I had been super eager to use it, but at the same time, didn't want to open it prematurely ^^"
In any case, the item I'm being so vague about... is the 
super cute Sweet Peko Perfect Cushion from Holika Holika!

If you're interested in Korean cosmetics, you might know that a little while ago, the brand Holika Holika released an absolutely adorable collaboration collection with the character Peko!


For those of you not familiar with her, Peko-chan is the mascot of the Japanese sweets brand Fujiya; you can sometimes find her face decorating sweets packages, or even chocolate lollipops in the shape of her head! She's a really cute and iconic character, and I thought this entire series had such a charming retro feel to it ♡

The entire collection was adorable, so I knew I wanted something from it the moment that I saw it! It just so happened that the item whose packaging I found cutest was the one I needed the most! ♡ I had been running low on my cushion compact for a little while, and figured it was about time to get myself a new one.
I guess I didn't use it that often though, because it still took me quite a while to finally run out of it officially...



In the collaboration, there are two different cushion compacts: the Perfect Cushion (the one I got) and the Glow Cushion (which in the above photo, you can see in the red milk-carton packaging!)
The Perfect Cushion is meant for oily skin, to create a smoothing finish, improve skin texture, and absorb excess sebum. The Glow cushion is for drier skin, as it claims to leave your skin moisturized and glowing. I often struggle with my makeup feeling a bit greasy at the end of the day, so I figured the Perfect Cushion would be the best choice for me ^^

Before I continue my rambling, let me share some photos of the super cute packaging it came in!




I think the milk carton packaging is so adorable and unique-- honestly, I find it hard to resist cute packaging, and I found the design of this absolutely charming! 



Before I move on to more photos, some more details about the product~
This cushion has SPF 50+ PA++++, which is fantastic! I always apply sunscreen before my makeup, but still, it's nice to have that added layer of protection ^^ It comes in four different colours (although unfortunately like with most Korean brands, it doesn't seem that they would be suited for anyone with medium-dark skin). I normally have the issue of face makeup being too dark for me, so I appreciated the availability of light tones. I got the palest shade, "01 Warm Ivory" (which ended up being perfect!)

Inside the box, you get the compact, as well as the actual cushion (which comes separately, so that when you run out, you can just purchase a refill instead of getting a whole new set!)


Here's what the refill looks like when you take it out of the bag~



It's just a little plastic container that you snap into the case-- it's quite easy to do! 
Also, isn't the puff it comes with just the cutest? ♡ 


The case itself comes with a mirror, which is very convenient, of course~ 
The cushion itself is covered by a piece of plastic underneath the lid, which is good because it prevents the product from drying out before you get the chance to even use it ^^" After you peel it off...


You see the cushion itself! I've never seen a 'patterned' cushion before, I think it's a really cute detail ♡ 



Like with all cushions, you just gently press the puff onto the cushion to collect some product (please be cautious when first using them though, since the sponges are super saturated with product initially!), before using that to apply it on your face. 
I took some before and after photos, so you can get the idea of the coverage/colour!
The before photos are of my skin after my usual skincare+primer application, and the after photos are with just the cushion, no concealer or anything like that (a fairly light application though, since I generally don't wear too much foundation for fear of it looking too 'heavy').




The most striking thing I noticed about this product was its mattifying effect! It had fairly decent coverage too-- I'm sure it can be built up even more, but again, I try to avoid wearing too much foundation. It managed to cover up the majority of my acne scarring/small blemishes, which is good enough for me! ♡



And here are some photos after I did the rest of my makeup (for my face, I didn't use any concealer after this-- just my usual setting powder).





I'm very happy with the coverage of this-- it's exactly what I need! It has a smoothing look too, which I find perfect (as you might be able to tell, the surface of my skin isn't very smooth, so I'm always looking for products which will even out the texture ^^" )

Despite being mattifying, it didn't seem to cake/clump when I applied it, which is great! Often, with mattifying foundation, I've found that it can get into fine lines and generally make your skin look a bit bleh, so I was relieved that this was not the case with this product. In addition to that, it applied just fine over the rest of my makeup, and blended into my skin very smoothly!
I wore this product all day, and found that it looked no different at the end of the day than at the start! Which is quite impressive given that I wore it ice skating, as well as for a fairly long walk (usually, products tend to fade a bit after exercise, but I didn't find that to be the case with this!)


On the whole, I'm very very happy with the Holika Holika Perfect Cushion! It has lovely coverage, wonderful texture, good staying-power, and of course... is super cute!
I would definitely recommend this cushion, especially if you have oily/combination skin like me! If your skin is on the drier side, you might want to try out their Glow Cushion, since it probably has a texture more suitable to your skin. 



I purchased my cushion on YesStyle {here} for $18.65 (but that's with the discount I have as a gold member on there, plus a sale they were having at the time-- it normally retails for $25.90). I've also found this eBay listing for it for $15.20. 



I hope you found this review helpful! Please let me know if you have any questions about the product-- I'd be happy to do my best to try to answer them! ♡
♡ Thank you for reading, and I hope you have a lovely lovely day ♡
Until next time!


1 comment:

Please leave a comment ^.^
I love hearing from you guys and reading all your comments, they mean a lot to me ♥ I try to answer back to each one as soon as I can~
♥ If you follow me I'll follow back! ♥